Opatija is situated in Kvarner-bay at the foot of the mountain Učka (1.401 m). In the past also know as Abbazia, it stands as a great destionation choice for summer and winter vacations. Beautiful nature, parks, old Austro-Hungarian villas, promenades and beaches have been attracting tourists from Europe and the world for the last 160 years. Opatija is a leading tourist destination in Republic of Croatia for organising congresses, seminars and counsellings.
Touristic development of Opatija – starts in the 1844., with building of a classicist „Villa Angiolina“ and goes through a „boom“ after the year 1880., when the whole area is bought by the „Southern Railroads Association“. Numerous luxury villas, summer houses, hotels, boarding houses, pavilions, beaches, promenades and parks are built. Hotels „Kvarner“ (1884., architect Wilhelm), „Imperial“, „Opatija“ are also from that age. In year 1889. Opatija already has furnished parks, luxury villas, hotels and similar object, and is given a status of a elite summer and winter resort.
Due to it’s climate features, Opatija was declared the first climatic seaside resort on the Adriatic way back in the 1889. with twelve sanatoriums and sixty two registered doctors.
What you should not miss
Lungo MareA promenade along the coastal strip stretching from Preluk, Volosko, Opatija, Ika, Ičići to Lovran with the lenght of 12 kilometres.
Fountain – Helios and SelenaA work of a sculptor Hans Rathautsky in 1889. It is located opposite to the Hotel „Imperial“ near the church of St. Jacob.
A monument to Friedrich Julius SchullerFriedrich Julius Schuller – general director of the „Southern Railroads Association“, considered a predecessor of turning Opatija into a modern tourist center.
Maiden with the Seagull (Madonna del mare)A work of a sculptor Zvonko Car, set by the sea in the 1956. It is one of Opatija’s symbols
The artistic pavilion „Juraj Matija Šporer“A showroom named after a dr. Juraj Matija Šporer (suggested a foundation of a „Society for building Opatija“ as well as the seaside resort and natural spa).
The church of St. JacobBuilt on the foundations of a former Benedictine convent and is mentioned for the first time in the 1439. To the left of the church there are a convent and a cloister with a well in the middle. There is a bell tower built out of stone placed between the church and the convent.
Croatian museum of tourismVilla Angiolina, Park Angiolina 1, Opatija
Open: every day from 10:00 to 18:00, except on Mondays (closed)